Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Scan one, scan two, scan twelve thousand and three

Last week was inventory week. Such excitement! Okay, so that is a bit overboard but for some reason despite the backache of it, I do enjoy doing an inventory of the library. When all is said and done, it feels like getting off to a fresh start. We know what is here and what is not. If a book was missed at check in and/or accidentally misshelved we find it. If a Dr. Seuss book winds up with the books on rocks we find it. Something satisfying about this. When I think about the number of books that I touched personally, most twice, I am utterly overwhelmed. How often can a person say that they literally touched a few thousand books in the course of week and not be exaggerating. With inventory done now I can begin to tackle other seemingly impossible chores such as cleaning my office . . .

No comments: